Before setting out, La Salle sold most of his land back to the Sulpicians and the rest to Montréal merchants. Jean Milot bought a 420-acre tract known as Fort Lachine or Fort Rémy (now Saints-Anges archaeological site, LaSalle Borough). The brother-in-law business partners Charles Le Moyne and Jacques Le Ber bought 120 acres for use as a trading post. The stone building (now Musée de Lachine) they erected there is one of the oldest such structures still standing on Montréal Island.
This illustration of Fort Lachine is an interpretation by the 19th-century illustrator S. A. Brodeur based on a description by Gédéon de Catalogne.
Désiré Girouard, Lake St. Louis Old and New, Illustrated; and Cavelier de LaSalle. Montréal: Poirier, Bessette & Co, 1893.