Harvesting ice on Lake Saint-Louis, near the Dawes industrial complex, about 1900.
Martin & Co. Limited, named for its president and owner Adélard Martin, dealt not only in ice but in flour, wheat, wood, coal, straw and hay. Anatole Carignan, who later became mayor of Lachine, managed the business. When he took over from Martin, in 1923, Carignan changed the company name to Industries Générales Limitée. The ice storehouses were torn down around 1955 but the company continued to operate until the late 1960s.