Following the fire at Côte-Saint-Paul church, Verdunites' only local Catholic church, residents filed a petition to establish their own parish. On September 5, 1899, Mgr. Bruchési decreed the canonical erection of Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs parish. Verdun's Council hired architect Joseph Venne to draw up plans for the future church. The parish church was built between 1900 and 1914 and was expanded several times, due to the increase in Verdun's Catholic population.
The blessing of this important church was pronounced on October 25, 1914, in the presence of Mgr. Bruchési and 5,000 other people. Today, Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs church is one of the Verdun Borough's jewels. Many people visit this church for its architecture and heritage importance. The church is also the venue of a number of classical music concerts presented by the Borough, and particularly those of the Orchestre métropolitain.