During the 1940s, the Christ-Roy Hospital earned a reputation for its excellence and was held in high esteem by Verdunites. The hospital quickly faced a shortage of beds for its patients. In 1944, the south wing of the building was extended and, with this expansion, a nursing school was set up there. Up until the early seventies, over 900 nurses graduated from this school.
When the Québec government took charge of the organization of the hospital in 1974, the newly graduated students from the local high school who aspired to become nurses had to choose, from then on, to study nursing at one of the CÉGEPs in Québec. They reached the Verdun Hospital only at the time of their internship or to pursue their profession.