Students during recess, October 8, 1946
Children welcome

Following Irish immigration, more and more people were settling in the neighborhood and the civil authorities started to think about urban life, which specifically resulted in the construction of the water system in 1861. Between 1886 and 1891, the nuns of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame operated the École Sainte-Marguerite in the rooms currently used for the museum’s chapel and dormitory. The nuns taught both francophones and anglophones, until the École Saint-Charles – now called the École Saint.Gabriel – could welcome them in a new building built on Wellington St., close to Parc Marguerite-Bourgeoys.