Around 1946, the house was put up for sale. The sign hanging from the porch eaves (visible in the photo) reads “For sale Apply to W.S. Lighthall 200 Star Building HA 8120-8129”.
Anatole Carignan, mayor of Lachine (1933-1939; 1944-1952) and a history buff, recognized Maison Le Ber-Le Moyne’s heritage value, and the municipality bought the building for conversion to a history museum. The museum was inaugurated in 1948, coinciding with the centennial of the incorporation of the Village of Lachine.