This painting, dated 1886, is one of the oldest reproductions of Maison Saint-Gabriel. Located along the shore of the river, the imposing house has stood there for more than three centuries.
In 1662, Marguerite Bourgeoys obtained a land concession in Pointe-Saint-Charles from De Maisonneuve.This land would enable Marguerite Bourgeoys to fulfil her dream: to a build a farm to support her companions in an autonomous manner and obtain letters patent from Louis XIV to found an non-cloistered religious community.
It would take her less than ten years to achieve her goal and found the Congrégation de Notre-Dame in Montréal. In 1668, her project was implemented when she purchased land and, above all, the large fieldstone house from her neighbour, François Le Ber. She welcomed the King’s Wards there and established the framework for an agricultural and educational undertaking, a mission that continues today!