The farm buildings in the 1950s
End of a model farm

In 1956, the sum of $1,300,000 was paid to the nuns of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame for the acquisition of the island, called Île-des-Sœurs as of that time, by the Quebec Home company, which was in fact an American firm.    

At the same time, the Government of Québec adopted a decree amending the Charter of the Ville de Verdun, making Île-des-Sœurs part of the city of Verdun. The nuns left the island definitively in 1957. Unfortunately, a criminal fire destroyed the nuns’ stone house in 1960.